Director of Events/Communications
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Communications/Events will set and guide the strategy for all communications, website, public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate the Melbourne Regional Chamber’s mission and manage all stages of Chamber events including: revenue and expenses, outreach, preparation and planning, development, production and management with sponsors and partners. The Director of Communications/Events will ensure that the Melbourne Regional Chamber is viewed as the primary source, disseminator and conduit of information within the Melbourne area and membership base.
We are known as the Business Chamber because we help companies and their employees to learn, grow and connect. That usually happens at an event. They range from Signature Event (large) to Standard Event (medium) to Boutique Event (small). The types and titles of events are determined by the Board of Directors with input from staff and members. However, you and your team do the rest. You need to self-motivate, plan, document and manage the event to represent the Chamber well.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications plan across the Chamber’s audiences in collaboration with the Chamber team and membership
- Lead the generation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action. Decide who, where and when to disseminate.
- Put communications mechanisms in place to create momentum and awareness as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral, including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures and the Chamber’s website
- Coordinate webpage maintenance – ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly
- Manage development and maintenance of all social media for the Chamber
- Manage all media contacts
- Plan and oversee existing events and programs for the Chamber and coordinate logistics for events including: catering, décor, marketing and communications
- Must self-motivate, plan, document and manage the event to represent the Chamber well and include metrics and system for recording feedback to ensure continual improvement
- Manage revenue and expenses for all events
- Identify and secure sponsors for all events
- Research opportunities and develop strategies to cultivate new relationships, events and partnerships that result in increased revenue and publicity
- Conduct comprehensive review of current Chamber events to determine value derived by Chamber members
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of communications/events experience with progressively increasing responsibility
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical level
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, members, volunteers and other supporters
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Outstanding organizational capabilities and creative oral and written communications skills
- Able to work multiple evenings and weekends
Salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time salary position with 7 paid holidays/per year, 10 paid vacation days/year (increases with years of service), contribution toward health insurance, dental insurance, 401(k) retirement plan with an 8% match (after one year).
How to be considered:
Send your resume with a cover letter and salary history to the chamber at:
About the Melbourne Regional Chamber of Commerce:
Since 1925, the Melbourne Regional Chamber has continually set the bar as one of the best places to work. In fact, of more than 7,000 Chambers in the United States, less than 100 are accredited as a 5-Star Chamber by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in any particular year. The Melbourne Regional Chamber is not only a 5-Star Chamber; but, is also accredited as a Certified Plus Chamber by the Florida Association of Chamber Professionals, placing it in the top 1% of all Chambers nationwide.
The Chamber is a vibrant, dynamic Membership organization of businesses that turn the wheels of the economy. Membership includes cutting-edge technology firms, manufacturing companies, real estate developers, healthcare organizations, restaurants & cafés, shops, theaters, lawyers, accountants, hotels, governments, and not-for-profits, to name a few. Since companies, not individuals, join the Chamber, Members range from the smallest mom & pop startups all the way through the largest employers in the region; thus, the Chamber represents hundreds of thousands of employees throughout the Melbourne Region.