Compensation: $14.78 – $17.00 per hour
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30-5:00 p.m. with flexibility required for City special events.
Deadline: Open until filled.
Position Objectives: Assist with development, implementation and promotion of public communications and community engagement projects, activities and events. Work is performed under the general direction of the Community Services Director.
This is a full-time position, which may require some evening and weekend work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops written communication products that promote community awareness of programs, activities and events for all ages and abilities intended to foster community engagement.
- Researches potential programs/activities/events utilizing community resources to address community needs.
- Sources and pursues grant and other funding opportunities that enable greater outreach expansion.
- Interfaces with management, co-workers and the public in a manner that promotes a positive customer service experience and City image.
- Develops and maintains productive relationships with various public and private stakeholder groups to facilitate buy-in/partnership opportunities for the shared Vision of the City.
- Maintains City website and social media platforms.
- Represents the City as a member of the Brevard County PIN (Public Information Network).
- Utilizes innovative technology that includes Windows-based, Mac-based and various other computer applications.
- Maintains departmental records and reports (historical, operational, financial and statistical) in a manner compliant with the Florida Public Records Law.
- Other duties as assigned by the Community Engagement Director.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required.
- Knowledge of a wide range of community resources to include the arts, music, social media and the natural environment.
- Ability to effectively manage City Twitter, Instagram and Facebook presence to include In-app photo manipulation and emoji etiquette.
- Knowledge of programs such as Mail Chimp/Constant Contact, Survey Monkey, Squarespace/Wordpress, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premier Pro, Spark and InDesign.
- Work with community organizations to plan and implement community awareness and engagement programs, activities and events.
- Exceptional attention to detail, accuracy and ability to understand complex rules and guidelines.
- Ability to conduct thorough and objective research on a broad range of topics and clearly and accurately communicate findings in a manner that promotes interest and understanding.
- Ability to create visually appealing presentations and educational materials using various software.
- Ability to keep abreast of current promotional/marketing tools, technology and media.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of various City and business operations and how they relate to community outreach/engagement initiatives.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Graduation from an accredited college with a Bachelor’s Degree and 1 year related experience and/or training in Communications, Creative Writing and/or Publication Design.