The Space Coast Economic Develop Commission has an opening for a Communications Specialist.
Under the direction of the Senior Director, Marketing and Policy Development, this position is responsible for: strategic communication with the media; maintaining media relations; preparing press releases, white papers, speeches, and collateral content; investor relations and organizational correspondence standards. The incumbent must be an experienced, entrepreneurial media and communications professional and have both the competency and demonstrated track record to recognize opportunities and respond effectively to key challenges in planning, preparing, and disseminating complex information to the public locally, nationally, and internationally.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Respond to local and national media inquiries regarding time critical, confidential, and/or controversial issues; prepare speaking points for President & CEO or designated spokesperson
- Lead strategic communications between the media, investors, board members, strategic partners and internal staff
- Prepare or edit organizational collateral, white papers, news releases, media advisories, Web content, publications, speeches, and other written material for varied audiences
- Develop opportunities to position EDC as a leading source of economic development data, information, and research
- Manage communication and outreach to investors and public to maintain favorable perception of the EDC’s accomplishments and mission
- Organize public appearances, interviews, events, or trade shows for the EDC to increase awareness and to promote the Space Coast
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English, public relations, or related field; MBA a plus
- Exceptionally strong writing skills
- Working knowledge of regional media
- Advanced knowledge of principles and practices of public relations and communications
- Demonstrated experience and results in print or broadcast media
- Knowledge of Space Coast economy, culture, and core industries
- Advanced computer literacy, including MS Office, Internet search techniques, and social media
- 5-7 years of experience in strategic communications, media relations, marketing, or journalism
- Must be available to attend after hours functions as required.
How to Apply:
Please submit resume, letter of interest, and writing samples to
Trudy McCarthy, Director of Operations
Economic Development Commission of Florida’s Space Coast
via email at tmccarthy@SpaceCoastEDC.org
or mail to:
597 Haverty Court, Suite 100, Rockledge, FL 32955
(Please note writing samples will not be returned.)
Resumes submitted without writing samples will not be considered.