The 2010 Roast & Toast was held at the Melbourne Hilton Rialto tonight to honor Mike Rein of the United Launch Alliance as the PR Professional of the Year. Our Roastee, Brevard Workforce President Lisa Rice was on hand to take some ribbing (and get her own cudos for her contributions to our community). More than a hundred were in attendance as we said thanks to the outgoing board, installed the incoming board, and awarded three of our members the annual Chapter Awards. Julie Arnold received the Rising Star Award, Tina Lange, APR, took home the Member of the Year, and Amelia Woodbridge received the Doris Fleishman Award. See pictures from the event on Flickr.
Archive for September, 2010
The Space Coast Economic Develop Commission has an opening for a Communications Specialist.
Under the direction of the Senior Director, Marketing and Policy Development, this position is responsible for: strategic communication with the media; maintaining media relations; preparing press releases, white papers, speeches, and collateral content; investor relations and organizational correspondence standards. The incumbent must be an experienced, entrepreneurial media and communications professional and have both the competency and demonstrated track record to recognize opportunities and respond effectively to key challenges in planning, preparing, and disseminating complex information to the public locally, nationally, and internationally.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Respond to local and national media inquiries regarding time critical, confidential, and/or controversial issues; prepare speaking points for President & CEO or designated spokesperson
- Lead strategic communications between the media, investors, board members, strategic partners and internal staff
- Prepare or edit organizational collateral, white papers, news releases, media advisories, Web content, publications, speeches, and other written material for varied audiences
- Develop opportunities to position EDC as a leading source of economic development data, information, and research
- Manage communication and outreach to investors and public to maintain favorable perception of the EDC’s accomplishments and mission
- Organize public appearances, interviews, events, or trade shows for the EDC to increase awareness and to promote the Space Coast
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English, public relations, or related field; MBA a plus
- Exceptionally strong writing skills
- Working knowledge of regional media
- Advanced knowledge of principles and practices of public relations and communications
- Demonstrated experience and results in print or broadcast media
- Knowledge of Space Coast economy, culture, and core industries
- Advanced computer literacy, including MS Office, Internet search techniques, and social media
- 5-7 years of experience in strategic communications, media relations, marketing, or journalism
- Must be available to attend after hours functions as required.
How to Apply:
Please submit resume, letter of interest, and writing samples to
Trudy McCarthy, Director of Operations
Economic Development Commission of Florida’s Space Coast
via email at tmccarthy@SpaceCoastEDC.org
or mail to:
597 Haverty Court, Suite 100, Rockledge, FL 32955
(Please note writing samples will not be returned.)
Resumes submitted without writing samples will not be considered.
Thursday, October 28 at Rollins College
Top professionals in the communications field will share their experience and tips for success in a forum where members can sharpen their PR skills, learn new strategies and network.
Confirmed topics include social media monitoring, financial literacy, methods for employee engagement and social media and Internet law, with a keynote lunch presentation from Google.
$55 for members ($25 for lunch only)
$65 for nonmembers ($35 for lunch only)
$45 for students ($20 for lunch only)
Look for more information soon at www.fpra-orlando.org.
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) has an opening for a Public Information Officer (PIO). The position is located in Tallahassee and serves as a media spokesperson for the agency, working with FDLE offices and media markets across the state.
Interested applicants should submit an application to requisition #71001075 via People First at: https://peoplefirst.myflorida.com/logon.htm
The application deadline is Wednesday, October 6th.
NSCFL is officially soliciting nominations for this year’s Harry Kolcum award. Click here for criteria for the award, but in short, theyare selecting two people for the award. The first is the person, either a government or contractor PAO/Communications rep/marketing person/community relations specialist, government relations specialist, etc., who resides in Florida, who did the most to promote space during fiscal year 2010. The second is a member of the news media whose coverage during the year has done the most to promote the space industry. If a person has a big event in the final days of September, feel free to include it.
Please provide a short bio on the person and a 2-3 paragraph nominee summary. E-mails are acceptable and please send to Craig Covault by C by COB Sept. 24. The Kolcum award committee will select and announce the winner in October and will present the award at the November NSC luncheon.
Since 1987, Junior Achievement of the Space Coast has annually recognized the most esteemed leaders of the area at the JA Space Coast Business Hall of Fame. The Business Hall of Fame was established in 1986 to recognize individuals who have made outstanding contributions to free enterprise and to society. To be considered as a 2011 JA Space Coast Business Hall of Fame Laureate, an individual’s record of business achievement must demonstrate:
- business excellence
- courageous thinking and actions
- vision and innovation
- inspiring leadership
- community mindedness
Additionally, nominees must serve as a role model for those who follow. Stated more simply, Business Hall of Fame Laureates are individuals whose work has moved American society in a better, stronger direction.
To view previous years’ inductees, or to enter a nomination for an outstanding leader in business and community, visit http://www.jaspacecoast.org/nominations.htm.
Nominations are due Friday, October 15, 2010.
The selected Laureates will be inducted during Junior Achievement of the Space Coast’s 25th Annual Business Hall of Fame on Saturday March 5th, 2011.
For more information about the 2011 JA Space Coast Business Hall of Fame nominations, send an e-mail to: BHFnominations@jaspacecoast.org.
Title: Melbourne Police Athletic League (PAL) Executive Director (www.melbournepal.org)
Position Summary: Executive Director of Melbourne (Florida) Police Athletic League (PAL). Provide for overall leadership and coordination among the various programs to provide area youth with worthwhile learning experiences. Help accomplish PAL’s goal of developing trust and understanding between police officers and at‐risk youth through educational, athletic and recreational activities. Guidance and direction of multiple PAL programs involving about 1,000 youth participants. Essentially the day‐to‐day operations of a 501(c)(3) non‐profit business.
Responsible to: Melbourne PAL Board of Directors
- BS Degree in relevant discipline (Business Administration, Sports Management, etc). MS Degree a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Computer literate and able to use a wide range of applications including MS Office, email, web.
- 2+ years experience in a related field
- Ability to establish strong working relationship with the Melbourne Police Department and City of Melbourne staff members.
- Ability to maintain close working relationship with State of Florida PAL leadership and other PAL organizations
- Ability to establish relationships with local businesses and community organizations
- Strong customer focus and a positive impression with PAL participants, parents, and volunteers.
- Passion for working with youth and a strong focus on their self development
- Sufficient physical/mental capabilities to perform job functions such as lifting, driving, etc (expand)
- Ability to possess a valid State of Florida drivers license, and pass background check.
Duties and Responsibilites:
- Provide high quality sports and youth development programs such as basketball, football, boxing, cheerleading, mentoring, and after‐school programs. Includes programming and scheduling. Mediation of problems and concerns. Each program is led by a volunteer program director.
- Provide recommendation for addition and deletion of programs. Collaborate with other national/state programs (i.e., Hook a Kid on Golf).
- Management and leadership of two PAL staff members and a wide range of volunteers.
- Regular status and reporting to PAL Board of Directors, including during quarterly board meetings.
- Development and implementation of fundraising programs such as sponsorships, grants, and other effective financial development activities (priority).
- Attendance and participation in regional and state PAL meetings.
- Attendance and participation in community relations meeting relevant to PAL activities.
- Financial budgeting, management, and control. Office management. Interface with PAL accountant.
- Overall management of related procurement, insurance, banking, and organizational licensing.
- Management of facilities and associated expenses (utilities, maintenance, repairs)
- Collaboration with IT Director (volunteer) involving webpage and content updates.
- Responsible for marketing, public relations, and overall communications with the public.
- Development of annual operating plans and objectives, and inputs to strategic plan
The Space Coast Economic Development Commission (EDC) has a Multimedia Position available.
Under the direction of the Senior Director, Marketing and Policy Development, this position is responsible for: managing organizational website; overseeing design, development, and distribution of all electronic and print communications; creating executive-level presentations for varied audiences; ensuring design consistency among all marketing pieces. The incumbent must be an experienced visual communications professional and have both the competency and demonstrated track record to recognize opportunities and respond effectively to key challenges.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain and update organizational website
- Oversee creative design and development of all electronic and print publications, presentations, advertising and promotion, and marketing collateral
- Create executive-level presentations for varied audiences using established templates
- Develop concise, persuasive web content and design elements
- Monitor and track website activity and trends to achieve measurable results
- Ensure consistency in messaging and design among all communication vehicles
- Coordinate media buying with print, broadcast, electronic, and outdoor media
- Manage and update social media platforms
- Provide assistance for initial computer hardware and software troubleshooting
- Bachelor’s degree in visual communications, web design, marketing, or related field
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and techniques of web and graphic design
- Knowledge of principles and practices of communications and visual presentation
- Knowledge of Space Coast economy, culture, and core industries desired
- Strong writing skills, including proper punctuation and grammar
- Advanced computer literacy, including web and graphic design software and social media
- 3-5 years of professional experience in web design, graphic design, or related field
- Demonstrated proficiency in Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe Photoshop strongly preferred.
Special requirements: Must be available to attend after hours functions as required. Ability to adhere to strict deadlines and function effectively in a fast-paced environment.
Travel Requirements: Minimal
How to Apply: Please submit resume, letter of interest, URL of websites designed and non-returnable portfolio samples to:
Trudy McCarthy, Director of Operations
Economic Development Commission of Florida’s Space Coast, via email to tmccarthy@SpaceCoastEDC.org
or mail to: Space Coast EDC, 597 Haverty Court, Suite 100, Rockledge, FL 32955.
The Space Coast Economic Development Commission (EDC) has an opening for a Research Specialist.
Under the direction of the Senior Director Marketing and Policy Development, this position is responsible for providing statistical support and data as requested, and is responsible for maintaining the most current data on demographics, workforce, housing, education, taxes, incentives, utilities, transportation and quality of life. This position is also responsible for responses to investors and business development clients.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collect and analyze data on demographics, workforce, housing, education, taxes, incentives, utilities, transportation and quality of life.
- Responsible for intelligence gathering activities that support the EDC’s mission;
- Prepare reports, illustrating data graphically and translating complex findings into written text;
- Conduct economic impact analysis as it relates to each individual project
- Respond to all information related inquiries by investors and staff members
- Conduct research for presentations
- Monitor industry statistics and follow trends in trade literature
- Conduct research for EDC research related publications
- Maintain time line and track appropriate distribution dates;
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics or related field
- Must have knowledge of statistical information sources created by both private and government agencies
- Proficient in MS Office and Outlook; knowledge of economic modeling advantageous
Experience: 1-3 years of work experience in similar position.
Special requirements: Must be available to attend after hours functions as required.
Travel Requirements: Occasional travel may be required in addition to those functions stated above.
Contact information: Interested candidates email resume and cover letter to: DHelton@SpaceCoastEDC.org or mail to: Space Coast EDC, 597 Haverty Court, Suite 100, Rockledge, FL 32955.